Sunday, August 24, 2008

Fat Dumb and Happy

The last Saturday in September 2006 was my date with the Dam2Dam and my first ever bike tour. Being new to this whole thing I wasn't sure what to expect. What I did know was this; I would be biking with my wife and one of my best friends from work and that I would be pedalling fifty miles. So in other words; I was fat, dumb, and happy.

I had been training on average between 16 and 24 miles a week three weeks prior to the event and was starting to get comfortable with my new Raliegh Cadent. I liked that I had been cycling on a regular basis before the Dam2Dam. I was starting to get into what I call cycling shape. The more I did the easier it became for me to bike at distance and climb hills. This was a confidence I needed before this event. Unfortunately, my first cycling tour had somethings to teach me and I quickly became aware of some of the nuances to the sport.


It was cool but clear morning in Wenatchee that day. My wife and I arrived about half an hour late to the event due to my not being able to find Lincoln Rock State Park. Lesson number one when it comes to a bike tour, know how to get there! Running late just added to the stress of an unknown event not mention irritating my wife which also increased my stress level for that morning. After arriving to the event and parking we quickly got our gear together and cycled to the registration kiosk. This is where we hooked up with my friend which helped lower my stress level since I now knew he didn't start without us. We collected our event numbers which we pinned to our jerseys and collected the event goodie bag. And a goodie bag it was, it included a Dam2Dam water bottle, a Dam2Dam tyvek windbreaker, and a X-Box 360 video game just to name some of the cool gems in the bag.


We started out of Lincoln Rock State Park and headed north on SR 97 towards Chelan. I still remember the large number of cyclists on the highway as we almost immediately started down a moderate but long hill. The first 13 miles went by rather quickly as it was predominately a gradual downhill to the first break station located at Orondo Park. By this time the sun was high enough that it was warming up and becoming quite comfortable.


Early on between the start and the first break station I rode with my friend from work who had a fairly quick pace. At first I was nervous I wouldn't be able to keep up with him as he was in much better shape than me and had done these events before. I was able to keep up and we passed several other cyclists ahead of us. While keeping pace with my friend, my wife was falling further and further behind. I was made aware of this at the Orondo break station and told my friend to bike on without us from that point. I didn't feel too bad since he came across a local friend at the break station and they biked the rest of the tour together. I learned lesson number two, stay with your wife on bike tours!


My wife and I enjoyed the first break station as I marvelled at how well stocked it was. It wasn't really well stocked but more like over stocked! There were several ice chests and buckets filled with bottled water and every flavored sports drink that Powerade could provide. Of course being in Wenatchee there were boxes of Washington apples, cookies, granola bars, crackers, sandwiches, oranges, and bananas. I was a bit in awe by the overall volume of food and drink. I remember thinking they are definitely not going to run out. It was like this at the second break station as well.


After having an apple, cookie, banana, and Powerade my wife and I ventured on to the halfway point. The journey was as pretty as it was uneventful. There were a few hills along the way that my wife and I struggled a bit to climb but nothing we couldn't handle. Getting closer to the halfway point which was the next break station, we travelled down a large hill which turned into a long flat. As we approached the second break station about a quarter mile away I waved to my friend who was going the opposite direction as he had just left there and was returning back to Lincoln Rock to complete the fifty miler.


So far so good, my wife and I were at the halfway point and were no worse for wear. We took in more nourishment at the second break station and we were on our merry way back to the start/finish point. About a mile after leaving the break station on the flat stretch just before the ascent up one of the more significant hills on the route I heard a noise that made my stomach turn. That sound was a sudden gush of air and my rear tire going instantly flat. I think I struck some small metal debris on the shoulder and it made a small slash in my sidewall. While I examined the outside damage to my tire I remember thinking, well I'm done. I had with me some tire levers and a patch kit but I knew the cut to the tube was beyond repair. That's when I learned lesson number three, bring a spare tube!


In the haste of the moment I told my wife to bike on without me and to drive our truck back to get me. My wife agreed and biked up the hill and was soon out of site. Not long after loosing site of my wife and as I was walking my bike up the hill it occurred me, that was a stupid thing to do. First off my wife didn't have the keys to get in the truck, I had them. Secondly this was a fully supported bike tour and eventually I would get some help from one of the SAG vehicles. So off my wife went leaving me in the dust both figuratively and literally as I'm walking my bike up a hill with the day starting to get hotter. Lesson number four, don't make hasty decisions! Not only in bike tours but in life itself take a moment to review all of the options available to you before making a decision. As I made it to the top of the hill my luck would change and one of the greatest workouts of my life was about to begin.


In a large dirt turnout at the top of the hill sat two older women in an SUV with a bike rack mounted on it. A SAG vehicle! By the looks of the two women I wasn't overly confident they could help me repair my bike but a ride to the finish was definitely in the cards. About the same time I made contact with the SAG vehicle a young married couple from Everett also biking the tour asked me if I was okay. I told them I had an unrepairable flat and no spare tube. The man said, "No problem you can use one of ours." He asked me the size of my tire and I told him it was a 700 by 25. The man took a spare tube from the seat pack from his wife's bike. I remember his wife made a comment to him which I don't recall but I remember the man examining the tube and saying, "Hmm. Don't worry hunny. This tube is the wrong size for your bike anyway." The man from Everett assisted me as I started the repair process and asked me if I'd be alright. I told him that I could take care of it from here. I thanked him and he and his wife were on their way.


As I was replacing the tube I was thinking how embarrassed I was for being ill equipped but also thankful for that couple's generosity. I was also thinking that I've got my work in store for me since the SAG vehicle left and I had to catch up to my wife who by this time was now a good twenty to thirty minutes ahead of me.


About ten minutes after the Everett couple departed I was back on the road and on a mission. Catch up to my wife before the finish. It was a challenging goal and one I wasn't sure I could accomplish. Sure my wife cycles rather slow when she is cycling for fun and enjoying the sites but I know she can go much quicker when she puts her mind to it. After all she is in great shape working out at the gym six days a week with RPM classes scattered throughout her workout week.


With 24 miles ahead of me, I started pedalling hard and riding aggressively. I knew I had to treat this like a marathon and not a sprint but if I didn't push my pace to the highest sustainable limit I would not catch my wife. Within a matter of minutes I was passing riders of all ages and sizes. After about 10 to 15 minutes I caught up with the Everett couple that assisted me. I waved to them and shouted thank you as I passed them on a large downhill. After about 30 plus minutes I started looking far up the road trying to spot my wife. Primarily I was looking at helmet color and bike shape. I would spot a cyclist that fit both criteria in the distance and use that as my motivation to pursue. This occurred about four different times each time not being my wife before arriving back to the Orondo break station.

As I was approaching the Orondo break station which would be the last rest stop before the finish, I was hoping I'd catch her there. On my approach I was scanning the cyclists looking for my wife but did not see anyone who fit the bill. I knew I needed to stop at the break area as my water bottle was about empty and I needed to re-fuel my body. The pace of the last 12 miles pretty much demanded it. If I had to continue at that pace I would definitely need it. As I was devouring breakfast bars, bananas, and Powerade it turns out I would. No wife. She was not at the break station. So after topping off my water bottle I was back on the road in about five minutes.


Still scanning up the road I came across a few more candidates that looked like my wife in the distance. Both times not her. It was beginning to look like I wasn't going to catch her. As I was approaching the long final grade up to Lincoln Rock State park which curved up and to the right I was starting to feel the physical toll of riding hard for 24 miles. Scanning the grade about a third of the way up I spotted what really looked like my wife. So with the last major hill ahead of me and my legs feeling very tired my mind told my legs something they didn't want to hear. I decided to attack the hill.


Pedal stroke after grueling pedal stroke I started up the hill. I passed a cyclist who attempted to draft my wife up the hill but couldn't keep pace and trailed off. Just past the half way point up the hill success! It was my wife cycling hard up the hill. I moved to her left and passed saying just the word, "hello" on my way by. The look on my wife's face was priceless and worth all the suffering I endured to catch up to her. The look was disbelief. I waited for her at the top of the hill and we finished our first bike tour together.

No comments: